According to statistics, 64% of American adults drink at least one cup of coffee every day. Although this figure encompasses men and women of all ages above 18 when it comes to drinking gourmet coffee, about 22% of Americans between the ages of 18-24 drink espresso.
These figures give you a clear picture of just how much we love our coffee. Personally, I'm an espresso person and simply cannot start the day on the right note if I do not get my morning dose of 'dark-roasted, bold-flavored, full-bodied with a hint of bitterness' espresso kick.
What Makes Good Espresso?
To be honest, when it comes to espresso, it is all about the beans. Yes, having a state-of-the-art espresso machine helps with the brewing, but unless you have premium espresso beans, no high-tech machine in the world will give you that smooth bitter kick that we all love so much.
It is only once you pair high-quality espresso beans with a cutting-edge maker that you get the perfect cup of brew. With that being said, here are five of the best espresso options on the market today.
Top 5 Best Espresso Bean Reviews
Organically sourced from Sumatra, Guatemala, and Colombia but roasted in the US, the Koffee Kult Dark Roast is smooth and strong all at the same time. This 100% Arabica Coffee has a rich, spicy aroma, and the beans have a dark, glossy coat that are a far cry from lesser dry and brittle beans that simply cannot compare.
You cannot go wrong with this choice. Packaged as a whole bean coffee in an airtight, beautifully designed bag, you are guaranteed freshness every time. These beans meet the SCAA specialty grade standards, are smooth yet bold, not bitter and very low in acidic content.
- Has some creamy hints of chocolate
- Not as bitter as many other coffee beans
- Goes down smooth and does not leave a weird aftertaste
- Some people say that it is not a true dark roast as it has a hint of medium-dark taste
- Slight inconsistencies as not every single one of the beans is actually organic
As a family owned and operated coffee roaster, Koffee Kult all but guarantees you excellent cups of espresso. The price is reasonable enough, and the beans have received excellent reviews on Amazon.
This bright and divine blend is both smooth and chocolaty in taste. Sourced from Africa, Indonesia, Central and South America, the Kicking Horse Coffee , Cliff Hanger blend is a medium roast, kosher, fair trade and organic.
The company that makes it claim to rock-mountain roast their coffee at around 3,000 feet above sea level. The Kicking Horse Coffee Cliff Hanger has subtle flavors and a richness that is quite rare. Although, there are incidences of a burnt aroma sipping through when brewing the espresso using these beans.
- It is stronger than most blends and is rather dark tasting
- It has an instant and bold kick
- It has a rich flavor that is reminiscent of mocha or chocolate
- It is rather dark and quite oily
- It has a rich, strong aroma when you open the bag but loses most of that on brewing
As a 100% organic blend, the Kicking Horse Coffee , Cliff Hanger is a good choice for those who love a chocolaty or mocha taste with their brew. These coffee beans have been received tremendously on Amazon where you can get a bag for a reasonable price.
Founded in 1895 by Luigi Lavazza in Turin, Italy, this coffee maker has been giving the world some of the best espresso coffee beans for more than a century. That goes to show you that they know what they are doing. This blend uses a mixture of 80% sweet Arabicas, and the other 20% is made from Robustas.
That combination gives you a luscious blend that is full of flavor. This espresso is thick and has a velvety crema. With several options available, the 'Super Crema' is perfect for those who like to have straight espresso shots to get through their day.
- It is a lighter roast that has some hints of a sweet taste
- It is not oily at all. This keeps your machine from getting ruined with time
- There are no hints of fruitiness in this espresso. It has a 'European' taste that is just right
- Some people might find it to be too strong
- It lacks a certain sophistication and complexity that other espressos have in taste
If you want to feel as though you are dining alfresco in the streets of Rome, this is the espresso for you
Roasted just before packaging, these coffee beans are not only fresh, but they are aromatic and delicious as well. They are slowly roasted to bring out a full and even flavor. Featuring a beautiful blend of Indian and American roasted beans, the Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast Espresso is black, oily, quite heavy and very rich in flavor.
If you love how cocoa powder tastes, then this is the right choice of coffee beans for you. The way these beans are slow roasted ensures that the espresso has an enriched texture featuring a milder taste.
- The slowly roasted beans ensure that you have a fuller and even taste
- The foil in the packaging keeps it fresh
- Perfect for 'longer' coffees
- Has just the right amount of caffeine
- The oily beans affect the quality
- They also clog your espresso machine
- The taste may be a little too bold for some people
These coffee beans will give you a cup of espresso that is full of nuanced flavor profiles rich enough to put a smile on your face.
There are two main things that immediately stand out about this Ground Espresso: the coffee beans are dark in color giving you a hint of just how strong this coffee is, and it comes in a well-designed, easy twist on/off lid tin can that means you do not have to find another box for your beans. It also means that the coffee beans remain fresh and strong for weeks.
Since the beans are already ground, you can enjoy your espresso even if you do not have a grinder. This choice will give you a strong flavor that is not bitter but is in keeping with a dark roast.
- It has a long-lasting freshness
- It is not bitter
- It has a rich, strong taste
- It has a strong smell that might put off those who don't enjoy strong aromas
- Although it is titled as 'medium roast', it is definitely dark roast
- This has to be one of the strongest and riches tasting, non-bitter espresso beans in the market today
If you are going to take the time to find the best coffee beans for your espresso, you need to know a few things about the choice you have to make:
- Coffee beans are not created equal
- Not all of them are organic
- Some are darker and more bitter than others
But once you find your specific taste, it is easy to enjoy a cup of your favorite espresso every day with any one of these coffee beans options in your kitchen. These are definitely some of the best espresso coffee on the market today. Give each one a try and decide for yourself which you like the most.